Dating back to 1887, the lens of the Mew Island optic is extremely rare and is thought to be one of the largest ever constructed. It was moved from Tory island in Donegal to the lighthouse on Mew Island in Belfast Lough in 1924, one of only 29 known lighthouses worldwide installed with a hyper–radial lens, designed by the innovative French physicist Augustin Fresnel.
The Titanic Foundation and the Commissioner for Irish Lights are aiming to house the finely crafted optic in the Titanic Quarter, allowing the public to engage with the marine heritage of Belfast.
The lens will be protected inside a delicate transparent structure, located at a key position on the Titanic Walkway, which is to be constructed as a pedestrian route linking the Titanic dock with the Alexandra dock. The designed enclosure will allow the public to examine the beauty of the lens itself. The optic will be installed in such a way that it will be enabled to rotate.